For many of us, trying to get to sleep at night can feel like an extremely frustrating experience. It can have a major impact on our energy levels and mood the following day, and it can prevent us from living a normal life and getting on with our daily tasks. Sleepless nights can take their toll on us, both mentally and physically.
Just like eating healthy food, making sure you get a good quality sleep at night is important to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Failing to get a sufficient amount of sleep can lead to lots of health problems, including confusion, depression, and in some cases, anxiety. There are lots of different options out there to prevent sleep disorders, but unfortunately, many of them are harmful prescription medicines. Many of these treatments have dangerous side effects, and some people find themselves getting addicted to these substances. It is not surprising that so many people have been seeking natural alternatives to help them sleep at night.
One natural substance that has grown in popularity in recent years is CBD oil. Although scientists are still at the early stages of testing the non-psychoactive compound that is found in marijuana plants, many believe that it is great for treating those suffering from insomnia and other sleep disorders.
Why Do People Suffer from Insomnia?
Insomnia is a very common sleep disorder. According to a recent study, 16% of adults in the United Kingdom get less than six hours of sleep each night. A lot of people get confused with insomnia because they often think someone who suffers from the disorder cannot sleep at all, but this is only in severe cases. If you think you might have insomnia, here are a few signs you should watch out for:
- Lying in bed for hours without being able to fall asleep
- Waking up at some stages of the night without being able to fall back to sleep
- Only falling asleep after taking supplements or drugs
- Unable to do your daily tasks because of lack of sleep
In America, experts believe that over 44 million people struggle to sleep at night. Lack of sleep can lead to all sorts of problems, which is why so many people are giving CBD oil a go.
How can CBD Help?
To treat insomnia, medically trained professionals often prescribe different medicines like benzodiazepines. A well known benzodiazepine brand is Valium, which you might have come across before. These medications are popular all over the globe, but they can have dangerous side effects. Benzodiazepines are known to be highly addictive, and they can be extremely harmful. People often become dependent on drugs like valium, and the withdrawal symptoms caused by the medicine can be very powerful. People find it so difficult to kick the habit they often end up in rehabilitation facilities.
With all these dangers, natural remedies have been growing in popularity in recent years. Although there is not a lot of evidence that proves CBD oil is effective for those suffering from sleeping disorders, many people and experts feel that it is one of the safest ways of treating insomnia.
Let’s take people who suffer from PTSD as an example. In America, a report was published that claimed approximately 70% of the country’s population had experienced at least one traumatic experience in their lifetime, and that ten percent of those have PTSD. Many people who suffer from mental illness get nightmares while they sleep at night, some so bad that they cannot get back to sleep. Scientists believe that CBD helps reduce the frequency of events that are related to REM sleep behavior, allowing those with PTSD to enjoy a night of quality sleep.
Although there are not a lot of reports published showing how CBD affects the body, there are plenty of positive signs to get those suffering from sleep disorders to get excited about.
How do you Take CBD Oil?
There are a wide array of different CBD products readily available on the market, so you are bound to find something that suits you. Before you take CBD oil, understand that not everyone has the same tolerance for the substance. When it is your first time trying it, consider taking a mild dose first. As your body builds up a tolerance to CBD oils, then you can increase your dosage. Just because a friend or family member can handle a bigger dosage easily, doesn’t necessarily mean you can do the same. Here are some of the different ways you can take CBD oil:
- Vaping: Nicotine vape products have had a huge impact on the tobacco industry, but vaping in the marijuana industry is also extremely big. There are plenty of CBD e-liquid products available that go into standard vape pens. But there are also a wide array of vaporizers specifically designed to vape CBD oils and liquids. If you want an immediate effect from CBD, vaping might be the way to go. It sends the substance directly into the bloodstream, which is ideal for many people suffering from sleep disorders. You can expect the effect to start around 20 minutes after you have vaped, which is great if you want it to help with your sleep.
- Capsules: There are plenty of CBD capsules available, which is an extremely convenient method of taking CBD oil. In comparison to vaping, it may take longer for the effects to kick in, as it has to go through both your liver and your digestive system before it enters your bloodstream. If you want to take CBD capsules to help you sleep, for optimal results, take the capsule about one hour before you go to bed.
- Topical CBD: Topical CBD products like lotions, moisturizers, creams, and body salves have become very popular over the last decade. These products absorb CBD through the skin, and just like the capsules, they should be taken one hour before you go to sleep.
- Tinctures: CBD users put these Tinctures under their tongue and wait for the substance to take effect. Just like vaping, Tinctures don’t take long for the effects of the CBD to start. Many people feel the effects after 20 minutes.
Because the substance is so popular, you can expect to see more CBD products appearing on the market in the near future. There are a lot of people involved in the industry looking to develop and produce CBD devices and products.
Deciding what CBD product you should buy to help you sleep at night might be slightly overwhelming, especially if you are new to the world of CBD. If there is a dispensary (authorized sellers who can legally sell cannabis products) in your town or city, don’t hesitate to ask the employees to help you. Most dispensaries hire people called “budtenders” who understand the ins and outs of everything they have for sale in the store. They will know exactly the types of CBD products a person who is suffering from sleep deprivation should take. If it is your first time, don’t be embarrassed to tell the budtender that you are new to the substance. They might be able to find you a mild CBD product, that should be ideal for first timers.